It’s almost Pumpkin and apple pie season! Recently I learned how to make pie! The cook book I use is Vegan Pie in the Sky but whatever recipes you want to use is great! It’s definitely something that takes some practice before you get it right so below are some things that I’ve learned that will help you out.
1. Follow the recipe when it comes to how much liquid to use even though it seems easier to mix if you add more. If you add more liquid the dough becomes sticky and hard to role out.
2. Roll the dough really thin because not only will it expand but you want to leave lots of space for the filling.
3. Use your hands to knead the dough, I know it’s gross because of the shortening but it’s 100 times faster than trying to use a fork.
4. Check up on your pie during the last 20 minutes of baking time to make sure the edges aren’t burning. Ovens are different so don’t worry if you take it out a bit early.
5. Most pie recipes call for 6 cups of frozen fruit which is the size of the average bag of frozen fruit. So no need to measure it just use the whole bag.
6. Don’t worry to much about appearance because after it’s cooked it looks better. People will be impressed anyway its homemade pie!